Thursday, July 3, 2008




Today, I received a nasty e-mail from someone I don't personally know. That person was upset with me because of earlier posts that question the neo-conservative liturgical practices of this currently reigning pontiff, Benedict XVI.

While I am loyal to the office of the Papacy, I am not blindly obedient. That is not what the promise of obedience means. Yes, sometimes I question some papal practices. That doesn't mean that I'm disloyal to the Church. I think that we all need to remember that "the Church" is not the Pope. "The Church" subsists in places like China, India, Asia, El Salvador, Niger, Kenya, and even in Tinton Falls, NJ.

I seek to be loyal to the "Church" in all of its teachings and practices. I believe in the Petrine ministry, I believe that the Holy Spirit continues to guide and form the church, all of the baptized, in Gospel ways. I believe, with the teachings of Vatican II, that the church needs to adapt itself to the local practices of the local cultures.

If that comes off as being "disloyal"....then, I'm sorry....the reader needs to go back to the Gospels, and to the documents of the Second Vatican Council...and read them in an adult manner.

There's room in the church for lots of views, for lots of opinions, for lots of people.

The great Irish author, James Joyce, when asked by a reporter: "What does it mean for you to be Catholic? What does Catholic mean?"

Joyce answered, simply: "Catholic....means: Here comes Everybody!"

No comments: