Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ascension Thursday?




We celebrated one liturgy today, Ascension Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Thanks to our music ministry, we had a full choir. But we had less than two hundred people in the congregation. Like other pastors in this section of the country, I believe we have to ask our Bishops to reconsider the placement of this feast. No longer can we call this a "Holy Day of Obligation" to attend Mass, when 90% of our faithful absent themselves from Mass.

I believe that it's time to join the rest of the country, and the world, in celebrating the Ascension on the 7th Sunday of Easter. Let's eliminate the Feast on a Thursday, and move the Feast to a weekend. I know that I'm one of a small number of priests in this area calling for this change, but tonight's experience has confirmed suspicions I've had for a long time.

No comments: