Thursday, January 6, 2011

Celebrating Theophany

Last night, I joined my good friend, Fr. Michael Mondik of St. Thomas Byzantine Catholic Church in Rahway for the vigil celebration of Vespers and the Divine Liturgy for the Feast of Theophany. This was my first time concelebrating as the sole concelebrant for a Byzantine Liturgy. Fr. Michael was very gracious, and very patient with me, as I tried to sing the parts of the Liturgy that he gave to me. I was especially honored when he asked me to take the Blessing of Water at the end of the Liturgy. (It takes almost 20 minutes to bless the water in this Liturgy.) It was a great, and very moving evening for me. I think that I may ask my bishop for permission to begin studying the Byzantine Liturgy with the hope of gaining bi-ritual faculties.

No comments: